Friday, May 01, 2020

The Silly Things Quarantine Will Make You Do

I will admit...I honestly forgot I ever had this blog.  I remember the other blog I had (Butterfly Blues), but forgot this silly little one I started for some reason years ago (oh, I know...I was a want-to-be food blogger with no real skills).  Fast forward a few moves, a couple kids, a president or two, a global pandemic, and boom, here we are.  A friend of mine was the one that suggested I have a blog...one that describes in more detail than I put on Facebook how I make the dinners I have been making for the family while in quarantine.  Well, friend, here you go.  Please tell me when I should stop.  😏

Dinners and Prep Info for the Week of April 26-May 2

Sunday, April 26 - Pot Roast in Crock-pot
Seared a chuck roast seasoned with salt and pepper in leftover bacon grease on all sides.  To a large crock-pot, I added baby carrots, onions, and bell peppers.  Put roast on top of the vegetables, added a couple cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp Herbes de Provence, and approximately a half a cup of dry red wine.  I cooked it on high for 3 hours.  At 3 hours, I added halved baby red potatoes, halved baby bello mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cooked on low for another 3 hours (when the meat fell apart when stabbed with a fork).  Served with green peas and steamed broccoli.

Monday, April 27 - Leftovers (AKA I'm sick of cooking)

Tuesday, April 28 - Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Sliced bell peppers and onions into strips and placed in a bowl.  Tossed with olive oil and 1/2 package McCormick's Fajita seasoning mix.  Spread on a large baking sheet.  To the same bowl, I added sliced chicken breast and tossed with more olive oil and the remaining fajita seasoning mix.  Placed on top of peppers and onions and added 2 whole jalapenos for the adults.  Placed pan in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes (when chicken was fully cooked and items were nicely browned).  Garnished with quartered limes and fresh cilantro.  Served with black beans simmered with 1/4 cup salsa, tortillas, chips, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.

Wednesday, April 29 - Delivery from Spices

Thursday, April 30 - Salmon and Chicken
The adults had Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze by Giada de Laurentiis.  I finally found a salmon recipe *I* liked a lot that was quick and easy and tasty.  Unfortunately, the husband didn't care for it (too mustardy).  Oh well.   I did not have fresh thyme, so subbed out a little dried thyme and added fresh parsley and Herbes de Provence.  The kids had Montreal seasoned chicken breast strips I pan seared in olive oil.  The sides were shishito peppers I blistered in a wok with olive oil and some concoction of shaved Brussels sprouts, portobello mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, and goat cheese that the kids pray I never make again (it wasn't that bad, just used ingredients they really hate).

Friday, May 1 - Takeout from District Taco

Saturday, May 2 - Takeout from Surfside 




1 comment:

Susan C said...

You rock! Make sure you advert this, so you have lots of readers and keep going. This past week I couldn't take it anymore. I did take out for the first time since the first week when we did a take out on Vietnames. This past week I did Thai (4 dishes), California Tortilla (Buy one get one free up to 10 on Tuesday; got 12 tacos), and yesterday Popeyes (10 pieces, 2 sandwiches, 2 fries). I'll post this to my FB account.